Differences between the mobile SDKs
In January 2018, the new SDKs MapwizeForMapbox were released for iOS and Android. Those SDKs are intended to replace the old webview-based iOS and Android SDKs.
The webview-based iOS and Android SDKs have been deprecated. However, they are still fully maintained by Mapwize. Their evolution will be limited to bug fix and compatibility with OS updates.
Benefits of migrating to MapwizeForMapbox
- Rotation and 3D isometric view. Both options can be disabled if required. The icon and label of the places are always horizontal to be easily readable while any text or logo on the layers rotate with the map.
- Follow user mode with heading. The user's heading is directly retrieved by the SDK and displayed next to the user position. A new mode for following the user has been added to rotate the map automatically based on the heading.
- Continuous zoom. This means that you can zoom to any level and you are not resticted to making steps like it was required before. Please note that tiles layers can be slightly pixelized in between zoom levels.
- Improved performance. The new SDK is based on Mapbox GL native which uses all the device capabilities to render beautiful and fluid maps. Please note that the energy consumption might be slightly larger depending on the map usage.
- More control for developers. Many more options are supported to let developers customize the map and the experience the way they want. In particular, all the features of Mapbox can be used on top of Mapwize.
- Works with IndoorLocation. IndoorLocation is an open-source framework proposing many indoor location providers and solutions. Any provider can easily be connected with just a few lines of code. The module to combine multiple location sources and the basic beacon location solution that could be enabled in the old SDK have been open-sourced in the SelectorProvider and BasicBeaconProvider.
- More precise events. Events are triggered more precisely and more are available. For example, it is now possible to listen to willEnterVenue and didEnterVenue.
- MapwizeForMapbox is based on Mapbox and requires to include the Mapbox SDK in the application.
- The option to add external places has been removed. Instead, we recommend to use the capabilities provided by Mapbox in term of data sources and style.
- The option to ignore places has been removed. To prevent certain places from being displayed, you can define multiple universes in Mapwize Studio.
- MinZoom and MaxBounds are not part of Mapwize as they can be set on Mapbox.